Carson McDowell is a leading provider of legal services to the energy and renewables sector in Northern Ireland. Our energy and renewables team has been involved in virtually every aspect of the development of the energy sector in Northern Ireland since the privatisation of the electricity industry in 1992. The team has unparalleled industry knowledge and expertise enabling it to act in large corporate transactions as well as advising on sector specific issues. The team brings together corporate, commercial, real estate, construction, finance and dispute resolution lawyers from across Carson McDowell to ensure we provide a full range of services.
Our client base is diverse and includes renewable power generators, financial institutions, government-funded organisations and utilities. Leading clients include ESB Wind Development, SSE, Bord Gais, First Flight Wind, and NIE.
What we do
- Established windfarm projects and developments
- Off-take arrangements, connection agreements, power purchase agreements and turbine supply agreements
- Regulatory, competition, public procurement and European law issues
- The renewables obligation, the climate change levy and emissions trading
- All aspects of the SEM
- Joint ventures, investments, restructuring and share and asset acquisitions and disposals
- Banking and project finance issues including secured and unsecured borrowing and the structuring of bank facilities
- Disputes and representing clients in arbitrations, expert determinations and mediations
- Land acquisitions and disposals
- Planning permissions, consents and environmental issues
What Others Say About Us
Chambers UK 2021
What the team is known for
Acts for a wide range of clients including network operators, energy developers and funders. Able to handle renewable energy issues as well as traditional energy mandates. Frequently advises on wind and solar power contracts, with further expertise in environmental and planning mandates. Offers a comprehensive service with skill in regulatory and transactional issues as well as project finance matters. Regularly assists clients with energy-related disputes.
Clients laud the team for its "excellent service provision," going on to note its "very flexible" approach.
Assisted TCI Renewables with the sale of its entire share capital in Pigeon Top Wind Farm to Energia Renewables.
The Legal 500 2021
The practice at Carson McDowell runs the gamut of corporate, commercial and finance work relating to energy projects, and also draws on the support of planning and environment specialist Gary McGhee. Neasa Quigley, who leads the team, is an expert in energy-related corporate transactions. Project finance work is primarily handled by Sinead McGrath, while property work is Emma Cooper's core area of expertise. Gerard Armstrong has extensive experience in PFI/PPP work.
- TCI Renewables Limited
- Belfast Power Limited
- ESB Renewables Limited
- System Operator for Northern Ireland Limited (SONI)
- RES (UK & Ireland) Limited
- Firmus Energy Group
- Northern Ireland Electricity Networks Limited
- Brookfield Renewable Ireland Limited
- Gore Street Capital
- Wind Renewables Income Holdco 2 Limited