Legal Compliance Officer
This is a broad and varied role, covering all aspects of compliance and risk related matters as they pertain to a limited liability partnership (LLP). Working alongside the Director of Legal Operations and Compliance, the Managing Partner and the Senior Partner, the successful candidate will be responsible for ensuring that any compliance and professional risks are identified and managed. The role will also include ensuring that the firm is compliant with the regulatory requirements of the Law Society of Northern Ireland and other legislative bodies.
- Ensuring that legal and regulatory risk and compliance issues are identified, monitored and addressed proportionate to the firm’s key business objectives, targeting resources (internal and external) to managing risks that have the potential to expose the firm, clients and employees;
- Providing input into business and strategic decisions from a compliance perspective;
- Managing the firm’s risk and incident registers;
- Undertaking and managing investigations of potential compliance issues;
- Preparing regular reports to the Risk Committee on risk and compliance issues, identifying developing trends and areas of risk and proposing suitable solutions for mitigating risk;
- Coordinating the in house file review process;
- Conducting regular reviews of the firm’s risk and quality compliance policies and procedures and ensure that reviews take place within the appropriate time period;
- Assisting with ISO and other quality accreditation schemes;
- Implementing appropriate risk and quality management training programmes for all staff to ensure compliance with all relevant regulatory and legislative requirements;
- Working closely with all Departments across the firm, to develop enhanced processes to mitigate risk and delivering training on new and existing policies and procedures;
- Resolving potential conflicts of interest as between clients or prospective clients;
- Ensuring compliance with the firm’s onboarding process; and
- Providing support for tender applications.
We require a qualified solicitor with experience of working in a legal practice environment. Experience in real estate and/or corporate/commercial work would be an advantage. You must have detailed and up to date knowledge of the regulatory framework in Northern Ireland and be process driven. The successful candidate will have the ability to identify, analyse and gauge the impact of legislative and regulatory changes to the firm. Excellent communication skills are essential with the ability to give succinct advice. Strong IT skills are also essential.
Applicants should apply by emailing a covering letter and CV to: Marie McKeown, Human Resources Manager.
Carson McDowell is one of the only firms in Northern Ireland that can claim genuine expertise in the entire spectrum of employment law. Our clients, who span the private, public and voluntary sectors, tell us they value the quality and speed of our technical advice and our ability to provide strategic solutions which balance legal and commercial issues. Above all, they value the importance we place on investing time in getting to know our client’s business and building on personal relationships.
If you would like to join this excellent team and can meet the criteria listed below we want to hear from you:
- 4-6 year PQE employment specialist.
- Strong contentious and non-contentious employment law experience (including experience of providing employment support on corporate matters).
- Ability to demonstrate deep understanding of areas including TUPE, collective redundancy, discrimination, industrial relations / trade unions.
- Experience of complex employment policy and procedure (both review and redrafting).
- Ability to juggle a large caseload of contentious matters for high profile clients, including the meeting of regular KPIs.
- The ability and willingness to work as part of a team, but also with limited supervision.
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal skills, including confidence in public speaking.
- Excellent technical and written skills, and attention to detail.
- Dual qualification and practice experience (NI plus RoI).
- Experience of advising employer clients on business immigration.
Applicants should apply by forwarding a covering letter and CV to: Marie McKeown, Human Resources Manager.
CV’s ideally should be no longer than 2 pages.
Defence Insurance Litigation Solicitor (5+ years PQE)
Due to expansion we now have a vacancy within our market leading Defence Insurance Litigation team, for a solicitor.
Carson McDowell’s Defence Insurance Litigation team possesses a wealth of experience in handling a wide spectrum of contentious matters involving employer’s liability, public liability and motor claims, as well as industrial disease matters. Top ranked by the Legal 500, the team acts on behalf of both insurers and self-insured companies, with experience in handling the defence of complex investigations.
At Carson McDowell in return for your hard work and dedication we will provide every opportunity to develop your skills and experience to ensure you are fully equipped to provide an excellent service.
Applicants should apply by forwarding a covering letter, which includes details of their current package, and CV to: Marie McKeown, Human Resources Manager.